An Act of Defiance and Symbol of Perseverance

The Stars & Stripes fly over the Parade Ground

Once hoisted as an act of defiance and a symbol perseverance, the American Flag flew over Fort McHenry at the conclusion of the Battle of Baltimore.

Stars & Stripes over the Parade Ground

At the base of the [newly donated replica] flag mast near the entrance to the Interior Parade Ground of Fort McHenry is a placard with the following description:

In Full Glory Reflected

9:00 a.m., September 1814

Act of Defiance - In Full Glory Reflected placardThe bombardment has ended; the battle is over. As the rain clouds pass and the rays of the sun shine on the fort, the garrison, tired and relieved, stands upon the parade ground. All eyes stare at the large 30 x 42 foot American flag. Carefully kept dry throughout the stormy night, it is now hoisted as a special act of defiance and symbol of perseverance.

Seeing this flag from several miles away inspires Francis Scott Key to write “The Star Spangled Banner”.

“At this time the morning gun was fired, the flag hoisted, and Yankee Doodle played…
Private Isaac Munroe, Baltimore Fencibles, 1814.”

For this and other fine art photographs of Fort McHenry click Bill Swartwout Photography.

Orpheus Statue At Fort Mchenry

Orpheus – Hero of Music and Poetry at Fort McHenry

Orpheus Statue at Fort McHenryThe descriptive placard provides a bit of the history of this Orpheus Statue. Narrative placard for Orpheus StatueThe old photograph depicts a Defenders’ Day celebration and is captioned: Defenders’ Day, 1928 – For many years the Orpheus statue has served as the centerpiece for the annual commemoration of the Battle of Baltimore.

The narrative reads: In 1916 the Fine Arts Commission sponsored a national competition for a statue to honor Francis Scott Key and the defenders who protected Baltimore during the War of 1812. It chose “Orpheus” bu Charles Niehaus.

America’s involvement in World War I delayed the completion of the statue. Dedicated on Flag Day, June 14, 1922 and originally placed in the middle of the entrance road, it was moved to its current location in 1962.

For fine art photographs of Fort McHenry click HERE.